WHAT DOES THE TECHNOLOGY STAFF DO?
The Technology Consultants provide human and printed resources for member librarians and boards in the field of library technology. In filling this role, the Technology Services Department:
- Maintains an up-to-date collection of personal devices such as tablets for library directory to review and try.
- Visits each member library that requests assistance in organizing existing technology projects and/or in creating a technology plan.
- Answers questions about technology and analyzes the operations of SEKLS departments and member libraries for potential technology updates.
- Provide basic instruction in software and hardware operation.
- Coordinates the installation and maintenance of software and hardware for member libraries, as requested.
- Produce current awareness materials for users and/or all member libraries.
- Plan and conduct workshops on technology-related topics throughout the year.
- Participates in statewide technology activities to help represent the interests of member libraries.
CAN THE TECHNOLOGY STAFF SHOW ME HOW TO RUN VARIOUS SOFTWARE PROGRAMS?
The Technology Department staff has a breadth of experience with various software programs. While they donâ€™t know everything about every software program out there, they can come help you get started in the use of various programs, such as word processing, spreadsheets, databases and word press websites. Questions about cataloging may be referred to the Cataloging staff, and the SEKnFind Consortium to the SEKnFind Coordinator.
CAN THE TECHNOLOGY STAFF FIX MY COMPUTER??
If you donâ€™t have a service agreement in place, the Technology Department can help you determine whatâ€™s actually wrong with the machine, and either coordinate purchase of replacement parts, or arrange for repairs as needed.
CAN THE TECHNOLOGY STAFF SHOW ME HOW TO HELP SECURE MY COMPUTER FOR PATRON USE?
The Technology Staff has several tools and tips which can help make your machine less vulnerable to abuse by patrons. These solutions arenâ€™t totally bullet-proof, as thereâ€™s always a trade-off between security and ease of use, but they can greatly reduce the chance for accidental and/or intentional abuse of computers.
WHO DO I CONTACT IF I NEED TECHNOLOGY SERVICES?
SEKLS offers a wide range of computer and technology support services, and the Technology Department staff may have different areas of specialty. If you require assistance or advice, please contact SEKLS and speak with any Technology Department staff member.
DOES SEKLS HAVE ANY SOFTWARE OR HARDWARE I CAN HAVE?
The Technology Staff can also help you find and install free downloadable programs.
SEKLS offers grants and helps arrange other funding to help with technology projects. This may involve help with buying hardware, doing retro-conversion of a collection, or help with funding the technology software itself. Depending on the source of the funds, grants might allow for a matching amount, a percentage of the total cost, or even the total cost itself. See the System Newsletter for announcements about grants as they become available.